Details for Old Testament Hebrew II
This unit builds on ANL401 to develop students’ knowledge of Old Testament Hebrew and their ability to translate and exegete Hebrew texts.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: ANL501
- Credit points: 10
The following courses are prerequisites:
The unit Old Testament Hebrew II is part of the subject area Biblical Studies and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Master of Arts (Christian Studies) (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
At the successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the syntax of biblical Hebrew evidenced in the ability to exegete more demanding texts;
- explain the theory, practice and limitations of textual criticism, and the ability to evaluate various readings and texts;
- confidently and competently use translation tools, such as dictionaries and concordances;
- confidently read and exegete simple portions of the MT; translate simple Old Testament Hebrew texts into English.
- Introduction to textual criticism of the Masoretic Text
- Circumstantial clauses; particles and prepositions
- The verbal system, aspect and tense
- Narrative syntax; Hebrew poetry; style and dialects in Archaic Biblical Hebrew (ABH) and Late Biblical Hebrew (LBH)
In-class test, translation assignment, exam.
- Athas, G. and I.M. Young. Elementary Biblical Hebrew: An Introductory Grammar. Sydney: Ancient Vessel Press, 2007.
Arnold, B.T. A Guide to Biblical Hebrew Syntax. Cambridge: CUP, 2003.
Athas, G. and Young, I.M. Elementary Biblical Hebrew: An Introductory Grammar. Sydney: Ancient Vessel Press, 2007.
Dobson, J.H. Learn Biblical Hebrew – 2nd edition. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2005.
Hoffer, V. Biblical Hebrew, 2nd edition. New Haven CT: Yale University Press, 2004.
Kittel, B.P., Victoria Hoffer and Rebecca Abts Wright, Biblical Hebrew – 2nd edition. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2004.
O’Connor, M. Hebrew Verse Structure. Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns, 1997.
Pratico, G.D. and M.V. van Pelt. Basics of Biblical Hebrew: Grammar, 2nd Edition. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2007.
Tov, E. Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible. Minneapolis: Fortress, 1992.
Van der Merwe, C.H.J., J.A. Naudae, and J.H. Kroze. A Biblical Hebrew Reference Grammar. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press, 1999.
Van Pelt, M.V. The Vocabulary Guide to Biblical Hebrew. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2003.
Watson, W.G.E. Classical Hebrew Poetry: A Guide to its Techniques, 2nd Edition. Sheffield: SAP, 1995.