Details for Pentecostal/Charismatic Hermeneutics
This unit orients students to the development of hermeneutical theory in general, and the discussion of specific methodologies consistent with reading community of the Pentecostal and Charismatic movements.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: THE505
- Credit points: 10
The following courses are prerequisites:
The unit Pentecostal/Charismatic Hermeneutics is part of the subject area Theology and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Master of Arts (Christian Studies) (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
At the successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the development of hermeneutical theory within the broader history of philosophical and theoretical thought;
- critically describe the contemporary Pentecostal and charismatic movements, and the implications of this ethos for hermeneutical theory;
- describe current reading approaches and hermeneutical method(s) with Pentecostal and Charismatic scholarship. Compare this with current populist reading approaches;
- locate the approaches of Pentecostal and charismatic movements within the broader philosophical tradition;
- critically apply the principles of hermeneutics to the interpretation of the biblical text.
- Introduction to hermeneutics and the philosophical tradition.
- Overview of Pentecostal and charismatic movements in relation to reading approaches of the community
- Main hermeneutical theories developed by Pentecostal and charismatic scholars in the current context
- Comparison to populist approaches, as analysed through case studies of sermons.
- Location of these approaches in the philosophical tradition; Exegesis of selected passages utilising methods discussed above.
Critical reflection, class presentaiton, minor essay, major essay.
Grenz, S. Beyond Foundationalism. Louiseville, KY: WJK, 2001.
Ellington, Scott. “Pentecostalism and the Authority of the Scripture”, Journal of Pentecostal Studies 9 (1996): 16-38.
Jensen, A.S. Theological Hermeneutics. London: SCM, 2007.
Land, S. Pentecostal Spirituality. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic, 1993.
Leitch, V.B., et al. The Norton Anthology of Theory and Criticism. New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 2001.
Martin, M. Pentecostalism: The World Their Parish. Oxford: Blackwell, 2002.
McQeen, L. Joel And The Spirit: The Cry Of A Prophetic Hermeneutic. Cleveland: CPT, 2009.