Details for Christ and Salvation
This unit is provides students with an overview of traditional and contemporary Christologies. It explores the developments that gave rise to the Christological creeds, as well as the redemptive significance of Jesus’ life, death and resurrection for contemporary society.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: THE501
- Credit points: 10
The following courses are prerequisites:
The unit Christ and Salvation is part of the subject area Theology and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Master of Arts (Christian Studies) (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
At the successful completion of this units, students will be able to:
- demonstrate a mastery of the conceptual developments in Christology that gave rise to the ecumenical creeds of the church - from the Scriptures through to Chalcedon;
- critically assess the traditional metaphors of the atonement, and evaluate their relevance for today;
- evaluate issues and implications of contemporary approaches to Christology;
- demonstrate the ability to relate the insights of ancient and modern Christologies to the present day; demonstrate a broad understanding of the importance of Christology for other key theological loci.
- The contours of biblical Christology
- Conceptual developments in the creeds
- Metaphors of the atonement
- The quest/s for the historical Jesus
- Liberation and Feminist Christologies
- Christology and science in dialogue
- Relating Christology to pneumatology, ecclesiology and eschatology
Forum responses, worksheet, research essay.
Bielby, J. & Eddy, P, The Historical Jesus: Five Views, Grand Rapids, MI: IVP, 2009.
Dahill, L. “Jesus for you: a feminist reading of Bonhoeffer's Christology.” Currents in Theology and Mission 34, no. 4 (2007): 250-260.
Dunn, A. New Perspective on Jesus: What the Quest for the Historical Jesus Missed. Grand Rapids, Mi.: Baker, 2005.
Evans, S. Exploring Kenotic Christology: the self emptying of God. Oxford: OUP, 2006.
Fee, G. Pauline Christology. Peabody, Mass.: Hendrickson, 2007.
Greene, C. Christology in Cultural Perspective. Grand Rapids, Mi.: Eerdmans, 2004.
Heim, M. Saved From Sacrifice: A Theology of the Cross, Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2006.
Keener, C. The Historical Jesus of the Gospels: Jesus in Historical Context, Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2009.
Jersak, B. & Hardin, M (eds) Stricken by God?: Nonviolent Identification and the Victory of Christ, Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2007
Kostenberger, M. Jesus and the Feminists, Wheaton, Ill: Crossway, 2008