Details for Christ and Salvation
Is it an oxymoron (contradiction) to claim that Jesus is both human and divine? How do we make sense of Jesus’ death on the cross? Is the resurrection something that can be believed in this modern scientific era? These are the sort of questions addressed in this unit, which intends to provide students with the opportunity to explore central elements of Christian faith. It explores what has traditionally been labelled the “person” and “work” of Jesus, i.e. who is he and what did he do for us? In answering these questions, students are encouraged to reflect on both the ancient traditions of the bible and early church and, further, to discuss the significance of Jesus Christ for contemporary Christian life and thought.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: THE302
- Credit points: 10
The following courses are prerequisites:
The unit Christ and Salvation is part of the subject area Theology and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Bachelor of Applied Theology (Korean) (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)), Bachelor of Contemporary Ministry (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
This unit is designed to provide students with an understanding of the biblical basis and the historical and modern formulations of the person and work of Jesus Christ, and to explore these in the light of contemporary Christian life and thought.
- The contours of biblical Christology
- The historical development of the doctrines of the person and work of Christ
- The quest/s for the historical Jesus and their impact
- Approaches to incarnation, cross and resurrection, ascension and return
- Modern Christologies
- Issues in Christology and contemporary culture
- The Christological implications for pneumatology, ecclesiology and eschatology
This course may be offered in the following formats
Lectures, class presentations, discussion, tutorials, film, and web-based interaction.
Worksheet 1 (25%, 1250 words);Worksheet 2 (25%, 1250 words); Major Essay (50%, 2500 words)
No official textbook, readings provided.
Recommended Book: Veli-Matti Karkkainen, Christology: A Global Introduction, Grand Rapids, Michigan: Baker Academic, 2003.
- Baugh, L.Imaging the Divine: Jesus and Christ-Figures in Film. Kansas City, MO: Sheed & Ward, 1997.
- Dunn, J. Christology in the Making. Grand Rapids: SCM, 1980, 1996.
- McIntyre, J.The Shape of Christology.Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 1998.
- Meier, J.A Marginal Jew, Volumes 1-3. New York: Doubleday 1991, 1994 & 2001.
- Sobrino, J.Christ the Liberator, Maryknoll, N.Y.: Orbis, 2001.
- Witherington, B.The Jesus Quest. Minneapolis: IVP, 1997.
- Wright, N. The Challenge of Jesus. London: IVP, 1999.