Details for Understanding the Faith: A Survey of Christian Doctrine
Do you have questions about God that you have been unable to answer? Do you sometimes wonder whether Christian beliefs about things like the Trinity and the divinity of Jesus make any sense? This unit provides you with the opportunity to explore those beliefs that are foundational to Christianity. It argues that what we believe about God (our theology) has a practical impact upon our life and ethics and, therefore, provides an overview of Christian faith, and reflects on the ways in which this faith informs our everyday life and calling. The topics addressed range from the doctrine of God, creation and sin, to discussion on the person and work of Christ, and the nature of the coming kingdom of God.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: THE101
- Credit points: 10
The unit Understanding the Faith: A Survey of Christian Doctrine is part of the subject area Theology and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Bachelor of Applied Theology (Korean) (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)), Bachelor of Contemporary Ministry (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
The unit Christian Worldview is part of the subject area “Theology” and is offered as a part of the following Award: Bachelor of Contemporary Ministry.
- Defining worldview, its significance, and its relation toChristian theology
- The nature, task and sources of theology
- The triune God, Christology and Pneumatology
- Creation and providence
- Humanity in the image of God and impacted by sin
- The nature and role of the church
This course may be offered in the following formats
Lectures, class presentations, discussion, tutorials, web-based interaction, distance learning materials
Forum Postings (10%, 1000 words); Major Essay (50%, 2000 words); Exam (40%)
Grenz, S. Created for Community. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1998.
- Dockery, D. and G. Thornbury (eds.). Shaping a Christian Worldview.Nashville: Baker, 2002.
- Grenz, S. Created for Community. Grand Rapids: Baker, 1998.
- Horton, S (ed.).Systematic Theology: A Pentecostal Perspective. Springfield: GPH, 1993.
- Jewett, P.Who we are: our dignity as humans. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1996.
- Kärkkäinen, V.Pneumatology. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2002.
- Mayhue, R. J. Hughes and J. MacArthur (eds.). Think Biblically!: Recovering a Christian Worldview. Wheaton, Ill: Crossway, 2003.
- Migliore, D.Faith Seeking Understanding. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2004.
- Milne, B.Know the Truth. Downers Grove: IVP, 1998.
- Ormerod, N.Introducing Contemporary Theologies. Maryknoll: E.J. Dwyer, 1990, 1997.
- Palmer, M. and S. Horton (eds.).Elements of a Christian Worldview. Springfield: Logion Press, 1998.
- Van Gelder, C. The Essence of the Church. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2000