Details for Theology and Practice of Prayer
This unit is an examination of the theology and practice of prayer in biblical, historical, and contemporary contexts.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: SPI501
- Credit points: 10
The following courses are prerequisites:
The unit Theology and Practice of Prayer is part of the subject area Christian Spirituality and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Master of Arts (Christian Studies) (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
At the successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- demonstrate an thorough knowledge of both academic and devotional literature on prayer from a range of traditions
- critically analyse the role of prayer in the story of Scripture and tradition of the Church;
- evaluate the role and function of prayer in contemporary Christian practices;
- engage in theological reflection on the meaning and practice of prayer;
- utilise primary sources in outlining the salient features of contemplative prayer in Christianity;
- describe in a scholarly way the key texts on prayer and their importance for the theology and practice of prayer; explain the role of various types of prayer in Christian devotional life.
- A survey of prayer in its biblical, historical, theological, and contemporary contexts.
- Theologies of prayer.
- Practices of prayer.
- The varieties of prayer.
- The role of prayer in Christian life and ministry; Strategies for development of a prayer ministry in a local church.
Forum responses, book review, strategic plan, exam.
- Grenz, S. Prayer: The Cry for the Kingdom. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2005.
Babbs, L. Into God’s Presence: Listening to God through Prayer and Meditation. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2005.
Barth, K. Prayer, edited by D. Saliers from the translation of S. Terrien. Louisville, Kentucky: Westminster John Knox Press, 2002.
Chant, B. Praying in the Spirit. Tonbridge: Sovereign World, 2002.
Clements-Jewery, P. Intercessory Prayer: Modern Theology, Biblical Teaching And Philosophical Thought. Burlington, VT: Ashgate, 2005.
Fenton, J. The Theology Of Prayer. United States: Kessinger, 2008.
Fosdick, H. Prayer as Communion with God. United States: Kessinger, 2004.
Grenz, S.J. Prayer: The Cry for the Kingdom. Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2005.
Hawn, C.M. Gather Into One: Praying and Singing Globally. Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2003.
Ma, W. and R. Menies (eds.). The spirit and spirituality. London: T & T Clark International, 2004.
Packer, J.I. and Nystrom, C. Praying: Finding Our Way Through Duty to Delight. Downers Grove: IVP, 2009.
Trenchard, J. Personal Prayer: Living in love with God. Hindmarsh, S.A: ATF, 2008.