Details for Christian Spirituality and Vocation
This unit introduces students to traditional and contemporary Christian approaches to Spirituality. It focuses particularly on the way in which renewal movements have experienced God.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: SPI500
- Credit points: 10
The unit Christian Spirituality and Vocation is part of the subject area Christian Spirituality and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Master of Arts (Christian Studies) (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
At the successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- demonstrate understanding of a range of traditional and contemporary expressions of spirituality;
- delineate between classical and contemporary spiritualities, and identify the theological worldview framing alternate approaches;
- describe the historical development of Christian conceptions of the renewing work of the Holy Spirit;
- assess approaches to the experience of God dominant in pentecostal and charismatic movements;
- analyse the contemporary relevance of classical spiritual disciplines; understand the relationship between spirituality and vocation.
- Spirituality in the Scriptures, and its role in guiding spiritual practice today
- The classical tradition of Christian spiritual theology and its implications for spiritual practices
- Contemporary expressions of spirituality in the Pentecostal charismatic movements
- Historical development of Christian conceptions of the renewing work of the Holy Spirit
- Practice of spiritual disciplines; Vocation and calling in the scriptures, in the Christian tradition, and in the contemporary church
Integrative journal, book review, minor essay, exam.
- Chan, S. Pentecostal Theology and the Christian Spiritual Tradition. London: Sheffield, 2003.
- Foster, R. and J. Smith. Devotional Classics: Revised Edition – Selected Readings for Individuals and Groups . San Francisco, CA: HarperSanFrancisco, 2005.
- Holt, B. Thirsty for God: A Brief History of Christian Spirituality. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress, 2005.
Badcock, G. The Way of Life: A Theology of Christian Vocation. Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock Publishers, 2002.
Benner, D. Surrender to Love: Discovering the Heart of Christian Spirituality. Downer’s Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2003.
Burgess, S. The New International Dictionary of Pentecostal and Charismatic Movements. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2002.
Cox, H. Fire from Heaven: The Rise of Pentecostal Spirituality and the Reshaping of Religion in the Twenty-first Century. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1995.
Crumm, D. Praying the Scriptures. Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2003.
Kay, W. and A. Dyer. Pentecostal and Charismatic Studies: A Reader. London: SCM Press, 2004.
Ma, W. and R. Menzies. The Spirit and Spirituality. Edinburgh: T & T Clark, 2004.
Moon, G. and D. Benner. Spiritual Direction and the Care of Souls. Downers Grove, Ill: InterVarsity Press, 2004.
Mursdell, G. The Story of Christian Spirituality. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress, 2001.
Paulsell, W. Let my Prayer Rise to God. St. Louis, MO: Chalice, 2002.