Details for Political and Social Engagement
The relationship between the church and state is fraught with challenges. This unit explores the history of church and state. It describes and analyses strategies used by Christians to engage civic leaders at all levels in order to bring about social change consistent with God’s character and mission in the world.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Unit code: SOC301
- Credit points: 10
- Total workload hours per week: 10
- Number of timetabled hours per week: 3 *
The following courses are prerequisites:
The unit Political and Social Engagement is part of the subject area Social Engagement and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Bachelor of Contemporary Ministry (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
This unit sets out the theology of political engagement as well as describing strategies used by Christians to engage civic leaders at all levels in order to bring about social change consistent with God’s character and mission in the world.
- The political nature of the Kingdom of God.
- Political engagement in the Bible – Jesus and Paul.
- The church and the state through history.
- Models and strategies of political engagement.
- Historical case studies – the abolition of slavery in the UK, the US civil rights movement, ending South African apartheid, Jubilee 2000 and others.
- Current case study – The Micah Challenge.
This course may be offered in the following formats
Lectures, class presentations, discussion, tutorials, web-based interaction, distance learning material
Debate (20%); Field Report (50%, 2500 words); Minor essay (30%, 1500 words)
- Ackerman P., & Duvall J., A Force More Powerful: A Century of Non-Violent Conflict. New York: Palgrave, 2000.
- Gordon, G., What if you got Involved? Carlisle: Paternoster, 2003.
- Myers. C., Binding the Strongman. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 1991.
- O’Donovan, O., Bonds of Imperfection: Christian Politics, Past and Present. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2003.
- Sharp, G., Power and Struggle: The Politics Of Nonviolent Action Part 1. Manchester NH: Extending Horizon, 1973.
- Wallis, J., God’s Politics. San Francisco CAL: HarperCollins, 2005.
- Wright, N.T., Jesus and the Victory of God. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress, 1996.
- Yoder, J.H., The Politics of Jesus. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1994.