Details for Community Development
Community development is aimed at empowering individuals and groups of people by providing them with the skills they need to effect change in their own communities in a way that is fitting with their culture and competencies. This unit explores and evaluates case studies of Christian and non Christian community development projects. It provides an introduction to the practical skills and competencies of community development work.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Unit code: SOC202
- Credit points: 10
- Total workload hours per week: 10
- Number of timetabled hours per week: 3 *
The following courses are prerequisites:
The unit Community Development is part of the subject area Social Engagement and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Bachelor of Contemporary Ministry (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
This unit introduces the learner to the biblical, ethical and social science foundations of faith based community development work. It explores the relationship between church and world and sees the Christian church as both a subject for and an agent of community development. The unit provides an introduction to the practical skills and competencies of community development work.
- Biblical Foundations to Faith-Based Community Work
- An Introduction to Community Development
- The Church and Community Development
- The Strategies of Community Development
- The Spirit of Community Development
- Breaking through Barriers
- Building bridges to People
- Bringing about Transformation
This course may be offered in the following formats
Lectures, small groups, debates, individual meditations and field assignments.
Major Essay (50%, 2500 words); Minor Essay (20%, 1000 words); Multi-media Field Report (30%)
Andrews, D. Compassionate Community Work, Carlisle UK: Piquant, 2006
- Andrews, D., Building a Better World, Sutherland: Albatross, 1996
- Bos, D., A Practical Guide To A Community Ministry, Philadelphia: Westminster,1993
- Caes D., Caring For The Least Scottsdale: Herald, 1992
- Craig J., Servants Among The Poor, Manila: OMF, 1998
- Henderson, P & Thomas,D. Skills In Neighbourhood Work, New York: Routledge, 2001
- Lupton, R.D., Renewing The City: Reflections On Community Development And Urban Renewal, Downers Grove: IVP, 2005
- Myers, B., Walking with the poor. Maryknoll:Orbis, 1999
- Kaldor,P(ed) Green Shoots In The Concrete, Sydney: Scaffolding, 1985
- Twelvetrees,A. Community Work, Palgrave: MacMillan, 2001
- Vanier, J. Community And Growth New Jersey: Paulist Press, 2001