Details for Anthropology for Contemporary Ministry
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: MIS303
- Credit points: 10
2 x 200 level Missions [MIS] units
The unit Anthropology for Contemporary Ministry is part of the subject area Missiology and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Bachelor of Applied Theology (Korean) (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)), Bachelor of Contemporary Ministry (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
This unit provides students with an understanding of anthropological concepts and insights as tools for contemporary ministry. It also sets out an anthropological analysis of Christianity, and enables students to develop the capacity to exegete any cultural context in which they find themselves ministering.
- The background and nature of anthropology
- Anthropological perspective on culture and worldviews
- Reality and perception in anthropology
- Culture and worldview change in contemporary Christian ministry
- Utilization of cultural forms to convey meanings in contemporary ministry
- Communication, economics, technology, education, family, status and role, and social groups and control from an anthropological perspective in Christian mission
- Conversion as culture change in contemporary ministry
This course may be offered in the following formats
Lectures; tutorial presentations; class discussion; small group work; independent research; cross cultural encounters
Critical Book Review (30%, 1500 words); Major Essay (50%, 2500 words); Exam (20%)
- Bosch, D.J. Transforming Mission. Orbis, 1991.
- Conn, H. Eternal Word and Changing Worlds. R&R, 1984.
- Hiebert, P.C. Cultural Anthropology. Baker, 1976.
- Hiebert, P.C. Anthropological Reflections on Missiological Issues. Baker, 1994.
- Hovey, K.G. Before all else fails ... Read the instructions. Harvest, 1995.
- Kraft, C.H. Christianity in Culture. Orbis, 2005
- Kraft, C.H. Anthropology for Christian Witness. Orbis, 1996.
- Kraft, C.H. Culture, Communication and Christianity. William Carey, 2001.
- Lingenfelter, S. Transforming Culture. Baker, 1992.
- Lingenfelter, S. Agents of Transformation. Baker, 1996.
- Loewen, J.A. The Bible in Cross-Cultural Perspective. William Carey, 2000.
- Luzbetak, L.J. The Church and Cultures. Orbis, 1988.
- Malina, B. J. The New Testament World. Westminster/John Know Press (Revised Edition), 1993.
- Schnelle, U. The Human Condition. Fortress, 1996.
- Walls, A.F. The Cross-Cultural Process in Christian History. Orbis, 2002