Details for Ministry in Animistic Contexts
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Unit code: MIS301
- Credit points: 10
- Total workload hours per week: 10
- Number of timetabled hours per week: 3 *
2 x 200 level Missions [MIS] units
The unit Ministry in Animistic Contexts is part of the subject area Missiology and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Bachelor of Contemporary Ministry (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
This unit provides an advanced study of the animistic world. Ministry approaches that are essential for their effective integration into Christian faith will be examined in detail.
- Introduction to animism as practiced today, including phenomenology and key concepts
- Overview of the scriptures from an animistic perspective
- Key Christian ministry concepts, including power encounter, functional substitutes, ministry to fear, tendency to nominalism, tendency to ritual rather than relationship
- Development of ministry approaches, replacing traditional power needs with Christian power solutions
This course may be offered in the following formats
Lectures, seminars, group tutorials, field interview and student presentations. An emphasis will be placed on students’ own research
Documentary Analysis (30%, 1500 words); Evangelism Report (20%, 1000 words); Major Essay (50%, 2500 words)
- Aker, B. C. and G. B. McGee. Signs & wonders in ministry today. Springfield, Mo., Gospel Pub. House, 1996.
- Arnold, C. E. Ephesians, power and magic: the concept of power in Ephesians in light of its historical setting. Cambridge; New York, Cambridge University Press, 1989.
- Baker, D. W: Biblical faith and other religions : an evangelical assessment. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel Academic & Professional, 2004
- Burden, J. J.Magic & Divination in the Old Testament and Their Relevance for the Church in Africa. Missionalia Vol 1 No 3 pp 103-112, 1973
- Burgess, S. M. and E. M. Van der Maas The new international dictionary of Pentecostal and charismatic movements. Grand Rapids, Mich., Zondervan Pub. House, 2002.
- Burnett, D: World of the Spirits. Oxford, Monarch Books, 2005
- Henry, R. L. Filipino spirit world: a challenge to the church. Denver, CO, iAcademic Books, 2001.
- Hiebert, P. G., R. D. Shaw, et al. Understanding folk religion: a Christian response to popular beliefs and practices. Grand Rapids, Mich., Baker Books 1999.
- Hovey, K. G. Before all else fails, read the instructions: manual for cross cultural Christians. Brisbane, Harvest Publications, 1995.
- Kraft, C. H. Anthropology for Christian witness. Maryknoll, N.Y., Orbis Books, 1996.
- Lessa, W. A. and E. Z. Vogt. Reader in comparative religion: an anthropological approach, New York, Harper & Row, 1979.
- Tippett, A. R. Introduction to missiology. Pasadena, CA, William Carey Library, 1987.
- Van Rheenen, G. Communicating Christ in animistic contexts.Grand Rapids, Mich., Baker Book House, 1991.