Details for Local and World Missions
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Unit code: MIS102
- Credit points: 10
- Total workload hours per week: 10
- Number of timetabled hours per week: 3 *
The unit Local and World Missions is part of the subject area Missiology and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Bachelor of Contemporary Ministry (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
This unit aims at training future pastors and church leaders to lead Australasian churches with a world mission focus, in all of its biblical, historical, cultural and strategic dimensions.
- What is ‘mission’
- The local church and missions
- Two structures of God’s redemptive mission
- The local church’s role in missions
- Making your church ‘breathe’ mission
- Ethnic and student ministry
- Obtaining relevant mission sources
- Developing a local church mission philosophy and strategy
- The by-products of missions - Through other cultures: Better theology
- For other cultures: God’s blessing on missions
This course may be offered in the following formats
Lectures, guided reflection.
Seminar Presentation (25%); Forum Postings (25%, 2500 words); Research Essay (50%, 2000 words)
Olson, Gordon, C. What in the world is God doing? Cedar Knolls, NJ: Global Gospel Publishers, 1998.
- Adam, E. and Hughes, P. J. The Buddhists in Australia. Canberra: Australian Government Publishing, 1996.
- Dollar, Harold.St. Luke’s Missiology.Pasadena: William Carey Library, 1996.
- Harris, J. One Blood. Sutherland: Albatross, 1990.
- Hiebert, P. G. Anthropological reflections on missiological issues. Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 1994.
- Jenkins, P. The Next Christendom.Oxford: OUP, 2002.
- Johnstone, Patrick The Church is Bigger than you Think. South Pasadena: William Carey Library, 1998.
- Kraybill, D. B. The upside-down kingdom. Scottdale: Herald Press, 1990.
- Martin, D. Pentecostalism. Oxford: Blackwell, 2001.
- Olson, Gordon C.What in the World is God Doing?Cedar Knolls: Global Gospel Publishers, 1998.
- Terry, J. M, Smith, E. C, Anderson. J. (Eds) Missiology. Nashville: Broadman & Holman, 1998.
- Tiplady, R. One world or many? Pasadena: William Carey Library, 2003.
- Van Cise, Martha. Successful Mission Teams. Birmingham: New Hope, 2004.
- Walls, A. F. The Missionary Movement in Christian History. Maryknoll: Orbis Books, 1996.
- Winter, Ralph D. and Hawthorne, Steven C. Perspectives on the World Christian Movement.Pasadena: William Carey Library, 1999.
- Wiebracht, Dean. The World Beyond Your Walls. Manila: Philippine Crusades, 1992