Details for Introduction to Cross Cultural Mission
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: MIS101
- Credit points: 10
The unit Introduction to Cross Cultural Mission is part of the subject area Missiology and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Bachelor of Applied Theology (Korean) (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)), Bachelor of Contemporary Ministry (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
This unit lays a foundation for cross cultural ministry, by broadly examining cultural and lifestyle issues vital to contemporary missions.
- Overview of Biblical, Theological and Historical background of missions
- Anthropological insights for cross cultural ministry
- Cross-Cultural Communication
- The role and responsibility of a missionary within a missions agency
- The Family Unit in cross cultural ministry
- Understanding and managing stress
This course may be offered in the following formats
Lectures, guided reflection, guided research.
Mission Project (30%, 1200 words); Major Essay (50%, 2000 words); Forum Postings (20%, 2000 words)
- Branson, M. L. and Padilla, C. R. Conflict & Context.Grand Rapids: Eerdmans 1986.
- Dyrness, W. A. Invitation to Cross-Cultural Theology. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1992.
- Hiebert, Paul G., Anthropological insights for missionariesGrand Rapids, Mich: Baker Book House, 1985
- Hiebert, P. Anthropological Reflections on Missiological Issues. Grand Rapids: Baker House, 1994.
- Hovey, Kevin G. Before All Else Fails, Read the Instructions. Brisbane: Harvest Publications, 1995.
- Hesselgrave, D. J. Communicating Christ Cross-Culturally.2nd ed. Grand Rapids: Zondervan. 1991.
- Loss, Myron, Culture Shock. Middleburg: Encouragement Ministries, 1983.
- Martin, D. Pentecostalism: The World Their Parish Religion and Modernity. Oxford: Blackwell, 2001.
- Neill, Stephen, A History of Christian Missions.2nd ed. London: Penguin Books. 1991
- Robert, D.L (ed.).Gospel Bearers, Gender Barriers: Missionary Women in the Twentieth Century.American Society of Missiology Series 32.Maryknoll: Orbis, 2002.
- Ro, B.R. & Eshenauer, R. (eds.). The Bible and Theology in Asian Contexts: An Evangelical Perspective on Asian Theology. Manila: ATA, 1984.
- Tippett, Alan R. Introduction to Missiology. Pasadena: William Carey Library, 1987.
- Yap, K. H. H. Doing Theology In A Pluralistic World.Singapore: Methodist Book Room, Methodist Centre, 1990.