Details for Discipleship
This unit is a study of Christian discipleship, focusing on the biblical, theological, and historical patterns of discipleship and their strategic relevance to the task of making disciples today.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: MIN505
- Credit points: 10
MIN401 Foundations of Pastoral Theology or THE401 Theological Horizons of Worldview
The unit Discipleship is part of the subject area Ministry and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Master of Arts (Christian Studies) (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
At the successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- demonstrate an intermediate knowledge of the biblical, historical and theological foundations of discipleship;
- understand the place of discipleship in the practice of Christian ministry;
- explain the spiritual, interpersonal and social dynamics of discipleship within an Australian context;
- evaluate the various strategies of making irreligious people into fully devoted follower of Christ that are available to contemporary congregations;
- critique prevailing models of the church and propose new models of discipleship for the emerging church; display an ability to mentor a growing Christian and exercise a ministry of discipleship.
- Biblical, historical, and theological foundations of discipleship.
- The place of discipleship in the practice of Christian ministry.
- Strategies for discipleship.
- New models of discipleship for the emerging church; Mentoring and discipleship.
Reading questions, book review, field project, exam.
- Willard, D. The Great Omission. San Francisco, NY: HarperCollins, 2006.
Barna, G. Growing True Disciples: New Strategies for Producing Genuine Followers of Christ. Colorado Springs, CO: WaterBrook Press, 2001.
Bennett, R. Intentional Disciplemaking: Cultivating Spiritual Maturity in the Local Church. Colorado Springs, CO: NavPress Publishing Group, 2001.
Boa, K. Conformed to His Image: Biblical and Practical Approaches to Spiritual Formation. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishers, 2001.
Bridges, J. Growing Your Faith: How to Mature in Christ. Colorado Springs, CO: NavPress, 2002.
Cloud, H. and J. Townsend. How People Grow: What the Bible Reveals about Personal Growth. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing, 2001.
Lowes, D. Forming Christian Disciples: The Role of Covenant Discipleship and Class Leaders in the Congregation. EugeneOR: Wipf & Stock Publishers, 2002.
Malphurs, Aubrey, Strategic disciple making: a practical tool for successful ministry, Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2009.
Ogden, G.Transforming Discipleship. Downers Grove, Ill: Intervarsity Press, 2003.
Ortberg, J. The Life You’ve Always Wanted: Spiritual Disciplines for Ordinary People. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2002.
Peterson, E. A Long Obedience in the Same Direction. Downers Grove, Ill: InterVarsity, 2000.