Details for Ministry of Healing
This unit explores the ministry of healing in the Christian Church through a study of biblical, historical, theological, scientific, and pastoral perspectives on the phenomenon of healing.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: MIN504
- Credit points: 10
MIN401 Foundations of Pastoral Theology or THE401 Theological Horizons of Worldview
The unit Ministry of Healing is part of the subject area Ministry and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Master of Arts (Christian Studies) (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
At the successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- demonstrate a thorough knowledge of place of healing as found in the story of Scripture and tradition of the Church;
- assess the attributes and dynamics of the spiritual gift of healing;
- evaluate the various healing methodologies available to contemporary congregations;
- explore varying denominational views regarding healing and key people who operate in this area;
- present research findings on a special topic in healing ministry; understand the place of healing in the current context of the ministry of the Church.
- Healing in the Bible.
- Healing in Christian history.
- Theological perspectives on creation, fall, disease, redemption, and healing.
- Scientific research on spiritual healing.
- The spiritual gift of healing.
- Controversial aspects of popular healing methodologies.
- Special topics in the healing ministry of the Church; Guidelines for planning and conducting healing services.
Devotional forum, quizzes, learning project, exam.
- McNutt, F. Healing Reawakening: Reclaiming our Lost Inheritance. Ada MI: Chosen Books, 2006.
Alexander, K.E. Pentecostal Healing: Models in Theology and Practice. Journal of Pentecostal Theology Supplement Series, 2003.
Alkire, J.Healing Stories of Faith, Hope, and Love. New York: Paulist Press, 2003.
Donahue, B. and Kent, K.W. Jesus: Compassionate Healer. Downers Grove IL: InterVaristy Press, 2005.
Erwin, H.M. Healing: A Sign of the Kingdom. Peabody: Hendrickson Publishers, 2002.
Hardesty, N. Faith Cure. Divine Healing in the Holiness and Pentecostal Movements. Peabody, Mass: Henrickson, 2003
Park, Andrew Sung, Triune atonement: Christ’s healing for sinners, victims, and the whole creation, Louisville, Ky.: Westminster John Knox Press, 2009.
Poloma, M.M. “Old Wine, New Wineskins: The Rise of Healing Rooms in Revival Pentecostalism.” Pneuma: JSPT 28:1(2006):59-71.
Porterfield, A. Healing in the History of Christianity. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009.
Thomas, J.C. “Healing in the Atonement: A Johannine Perspective.” JPT 14:1(2005):23-39
Thomas, L. and Jan Alkire. Healing as a Parish Ministry. Byron Books, 2000.