Details for Contemporary Preaching
This unit addresses the challenges posed to contemporary preaching by our postmodern cultural context, and the dynamics of mediating renewal of the mind through preaching.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: MIN503
- Credit points: 10
MIN401 Foundations of Pastoral Theology or BIB401 The Story of Scripture
The unit Contemporary Preaching is part of the subject area Ministry and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Master of Arts (Christian Studies) (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
At the successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- demonstrate a sensitivity both to the contours of the biblical text and the needs of the congregations in sermon delivery;
- demonstrate an ability to exegete both text and culture;
- assess different principles of communication and sermon construction;
- analyse and show a knowledge of contemporary tools of communication available to today’s preacher; understand the significance of the place of preaching both within the Australian Christian Churches and the wider church.
- The spoken word in an image society
- Action research method in communications research
- Preaching for the renewal of the mind
- Preaching that is relevant to the postmodern condition
- Constructing different types of biblical sermons
- Communicating to Australians
- Preaching, technology, and the media
Pre-test sermon, post-test sermon, literature review, action research essay.
- Chapell, Bryan. Christ-Centered Preaching. Grand Rapids, Mich: Baker Academic, 2005.
- Sunukjian, Donald. Invitation to Biblical Preaching. Kregel Academic, 2007.
Chapell, B. Christ-Centered Preaching: Redeeming the Expository Sermon. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2005.
Coleson, J. (ed), Passion, Power and Purpose: Essays on the Art of Contemporary Preaching. Indianapolis, IN: Wesleyan Publishing House, 2006.
Carson, D. A. (ed.). Telling the Truth: Evangelizing Postmoderns. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2000.
Chapell, Bryan. Christ-Centered Preaching: Redeeming the Expository Sermon. Baker Academic, 2005.
Heisler, Greg. Spirit Led Preaching: The Holy Spirit’s Role in Sermon Preparation and Delivery. Nashville: B & H Publishing Group, 2007.
Johnston, G.M. and W. Robinson. Preaching to a Postmodern World: A Guide to Reaching Twenty-First Century Listeners. Grand Rapids, MI.: Baker Book House. 2001.
Kimball, Dan. The Emerging Church. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2003.