Details for Theory and Practice of Evangelism
This unit is an examination of theory and practice of evangelism in the Australian context.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: MIN502
- Credit points: 10
The following courses are prerequisites:
The unit Theory and Practice of Evangelism is part of the subject area Ministry and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Master of Arts (Christian Studies) (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
At the successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the impetus for evangelism as found in the story of Scripture and tradition of the Church;
- display an understanding of various evangelistic techniques practiced in Australia
- utilise competently a variety of evangelistic resources
- display developing skills necessary to extend an evangelistic invitation, both in church and in a personal interaction
- develop effective approaches to evangelistic ministry; appreciate the place of outreach and evangelism in the mission of the church
- Christianity: the communicative Word
- Evangelism in the story of Scripture and tradition of the Church
- Theories of evangelism
- Models and approaches to evangelism in the current Australian context
- A practical element by involvement in/observation of an evangelistic program; Practical challenges in evangelism
Oral presentation, book review, field project, exam.
- Hybels, Bill. Just Walk Across the Room. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2006.
Abraham, W. “The Art of Evangelism” Clergy Journal 82:8 (2006):13-15
Bailey, A. Good News Down Under: Sharing the Gospel with Australians. Sydney, NSW: Anzea Lancer, 1992.
Carson, D. A. (ed.).Telling the Truth: Evangelizing Postmoderns. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2000.
Comfort, R. & Cameron, K. The School of Biblical Evangelism. Alachua, FL: Bridge-Logos, 2004.
Dawson, S. (ed), The Complete Evangelism Guidebook: Expert Advice on Reaching Others for Christ. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2008.
Drayton, R. D.Which Gospel? Keswick, S.A.: Mediacom, 2005.
Finney, John. Emerging Evangelism. London: Dart, Longman & Todd, 2004.
Hughes, Bronwyn, and John Bellamy. A Passion for Evangelism. Adelaide: Openbook, 2004.
Hunter, George G. III. Radical Outreach: The Recovery of Apostolic Ministry and Evangelism. Nashville, Abingdon, 2003.
Kimball, Dan. The emerging church: Vintage Christianity for new generations. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Zondervan, 2003.
McLaren, Brian. More Ready than You Think. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2002.
Geisler, Norman L. and David Geisler, Conversational evangelism, Eugene, Or.: Harvest House Publishers, 2009.
Sjogren, Steve. 101 Ways to Reach Your Community. Colorado Springs: NavPress, 2001.
Stone, Bryan P. Evangelism after Christendom: The Theology and Practice of Christian Witness. Grand Rapids: Brazos Press, 2007.