Details for Relationships in Contemporary Society
How do I develop strong relationships, whether friendships, marriage or family? Should I get married or remain single? How do I deal with the changing dynamics of family and relationships through the life stages? If ever a unit was needed to clarify the confusion found in the ‘relationships’ section of the local Christian bookstore, this is it. Whether young, old, single, betrothed, married or unspecified, all are invited to come and explore the inner workings of relationships, marriage and the family, as it has unfolded throughout history and wider society. Specifically this unit aims to develop skills to strengthen your relationships and assist those you minister to in everyday life.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Unit code: MIN330
- Credit points: 10
- Total workload hours per week: 10
- Number of timetabled hours per week: 3 *
2 x Ministry [MIN] units
The unit Relationships in Contemporary Society is part of the subject area Ministry and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Bachelor of Contemporary Ministry (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
This course unit explores the issues of marriage and family within society and more specifically within a church/Christian context. Biblical foundations and understandings are examined. The unit also considers the related areas of singleness and divorce.
- Historical perspectives of marriage
- Current trends in society
- Biblical and theological perspectives
- Marriage and prayer
- Sexuality – marriage and singleness
- Parenting and childhood development
- Issues of abuse
This course may be offered in the following formats
Lectures, guided discussion/reflections, tutorials. This course may include the ‘Prepare/Enrich’ trainers course.
Critical Book Review (20%, 1000 words); Forum Postings (20%, 2500 words); Case Study Analysis (60%, 4 x 750 words each)
Balswick, Jack O., & Balswick, Judith K. Family - A Christian Perspective on the Contemporary Home. 3rd Ed. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Baker House, 2007.
- Anderson, Kerby (ed.). Marriage, Family and Sexuality. Grand Rapids: Kregel Publications, 1999.
- Collins, Gary R. Christian Counseling A Comprehensive Guide.Waco, Tex.: Word. 1988.
- Fagerstrom, D. L (ed.). Baker Handbook of Single Adult Ministry.Grand Rapids:Baker Books, 2004.
- Grenz, S.J. Welcoming but not Affirming. Louiseville: Westminster John Knox, 1998.
- Helminiak, D.A. What the Bible Really Says About Homosexuality. San Francisco: Alamo Square Press, 2000.
- Hsu, Albert. Y.Singles at the Crossroads. Grand Rapids: InterVarsityPress,1997.
- Kearney, R.T. Caring for Sexually Abused Children. Grand Rapids, InterVarsityPress,2001.
- Rosenau, D.E. A Celebration of Sex, A Guide to Enjoying God’s Gift of Sexual Intimacy. rev.ed. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2002.
- Smedes, L. B. Sex for Christians. rev. ed. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1994 .
- Wright, H.N. Communication: Key to Your Marriage. rev. ed. Ventura: Regal Books, 2000 .
- Yalom, M. A History of the Wife. New York: HarperTrade, 2002.