Details for Childrens Pastoring
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Unit code: MIN323
- Credit points: 10
- Total workload hours per week: 10
- Number of timetabled hours per week: 3 *
The following courses are prerequisites:
The unit Childrens Pastoring is part of the subject area Ministry and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Bachelor of Contemporary Ministry (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
This unit builds on the introductory skills and concepts learned in Children’s Ministry and Child Development to equip the student to build a children’s ministry team and minister effectively to children and their families.
- Building and maintaining a children’s ministry team
- Ministering to the whole family
- Cooperating with other departments in a church and other organisations in the community
- Communicating to children
- Evangelism of children
- Discipling children
- Caring for children with special needs and/or facing difficult circumstances
- Contextualising children’s ministry
This course may be offered in the following formats
Lectures, class presentations, discussion, tutorials, web-based interaction, distance learning material.
Major Essay (50%, 2500 words); Children’s message with invitation for response (20%; 10 mins); Project (30%, 1500 words)
- Blazer, Doris A. (ed.), Faith Development in Early Childhood. Lanham, MD: Sheed & Ward, 1989.
- Chapman, Kathleen, Teaching Kids Authentic Worship: How to Keep Them Close to God for Life. Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 2003.
- Coles, Robert, The Spiritual Life of Children. Boston: Mariner Books, 1990.
- Eugene C. Roehlkepartain, Pamela Ebstyne King, Linda M. Wagener, Peter L. Benson (eds), The Handbook of Spiritual Development in Childhood and Adolescence. (Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2005)
- Garland, Diana R., Family Ministry: A Comprehensive Guide. Downer’s Grove: IVP, 1999.
- Hay, David and Nye, Rebecca, The Spirit of the Child (rev. ed.). London: Jessica Kingley, 2006
- May, Scottie (ed), Children Matter: Celebrating their Place in the Church, Family and Community. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2005.
- Ratcliff, Donald (ed), Children's Spirituality: Christian Perspectives, Spirituality And Applications. Eugene, OR: Cascade Books, 2004.
- Sisemore, Tim, Of Such Is the Kingdom: Nurturing Children in the Light of Scripture. Geanies House, Fearn: Christian Focus Publications, 2003.
- Sofia Cavalletti and Patricia M. Coulter with Julie M. Coulter (trans.), The Religious Potential of the Child: Experiencing Scripture and Liturgy With Young Children. Chicago: Liturgy Training Publications; reprint edition, 1993
- Stonehouse, Catherine, Joining Children on the Spiritual Journey: Nurturing a Life of Faith. Grand Rapids: Baker Academics, 1998.
- Wuthnow, Robert, Growing Up Religious: Christians and Jews and Their Journeys of Faith. Boston: Beacon, 1999.
- Yust, Karen Marie, Real Kids, Real Faith: Practices for Nurturing Children's Spiritual Lives (J-B Families and Faith Series).San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2004.