Details for Contemporary Preaching
Have you ever wished that you could bottle the persuasiveness and power of your favourite preacher in order to supercharge your own sermons and see your congregation transformed? When it comes to sermons, the bridge between the first century text and twenty-first century context can often seem longer than 2000-odd years. If you want to discover what turns effective preaching into life-changing preaching, and bring revelation to postmodern people that struggle with the Christian story, then look no further. Get ready to be equipped with the rhetorical tools in this unit to craft a message so powerful that it will be impossible for your audience to leave the pews unchanged.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: MIN203
- Credit points: 10
The following courses are prerequisites:
The unit Contemporary Preaching is part of the subject area Ministry and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Bachelor of Applied Theology (Korean) (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)), Bachelor of Contemporary Ministry (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
This course unit gives an opportunity to develop an understanding and practical application of communicating that has been learnt in the foundational theological and biblical units of first year. The unit addresses the relationship between exegesis and application, and contemporary communication theory and practice.
- The Three-fold Task: Understanding the Bible—Understanding the Church—Understanding Culture
- Constructing a Sermon
- Communicating to Australians
- Preaching, Technology and the Media
- Sermons in Different Settings
This course may be offered in the following formats
Lectures, sermon delivery and assessment, team teaching.
Forum Postings (20%, 2000 words); Critical Reflection on preaching opportunity (30%, 1500 words); Major Essay (50%, 2500 words)
Sunukjian, D.R. Invitation to Biblical Preaching. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2007
- Green, C. and Jackman, D (eds.). When God's Voice is Heard: Essays on Preaching presented to Dick Lucas.Downers Grove, Ill.: InterVarsityPress, 1995.
- Greidanus, S. The Modern Preacher and the Ancient Text: Interpreting and Preaching Biblical Literature. Grand Rapids, MI.: Wm B. Eerdmans, 1988.
- Hybels, B., S. Briscoe. and H. Robinson. Mastering Contemporary Preaching. Portland, Or.: Multnomah, 1992.
- Johnston, G.M. and Robinson, W. Preaching to a Postmodern World : A Guide to Reaching Twenty-First Century Listeners.Grand Rapids, MI.: Baker Book House. 2001.
- Miller, C. Spirit, Word, and Story: A Philosphy of Marketplace Preaching. Grand Rapids, MI., Baker, 1996.
- Newbigin, L. The Gospel in a Pluralist Society. Grand Rapids, MI.: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1989.
- Stott, J.R.W. Between Two Worlds: The Art of Preaching in the Twentieth Century. Grand Rapids, MI.: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1982.