Details for Organisational Strategy and Innovation
This unit focuses on strategic thinking, planning, and organisational innovation.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: LEA501
- Credit points: 10
The following courses are prerequisites:
The unit Organisational Strategy and Innovation is part of the subject area Leadership and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Master of Arts (Christian Studies) (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the strategic function as a means of achieving desired organizational outcomes
- Display the ability to perform a comprehensive situational assessment for an organisation and identify the key strategic challenges
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of the purpose and vision of an organization, how these communicate the organisation’s values and beliefs and direct strategy.
- Demonstrate the ability to design the relevant actions, competencies, and processes necessary to achieve desired organisational outcomes
- Exhibit a solid understanding of the need for continuous innovation and strategic thinking for organisational sustainability and impact
- Defining strategy
- Purpose, mission, vision
- Situational analysis and goal setting
- Value creation
- Strategy maps and the balanced scorecard
- Innovation and design thinking
- Crafting strategy
- Implementing change
Minor essay, case study, major essay.
Cooper, P. “Leadership Development Framework” in Public Administration Today. (May-June 2005).
Grant, Robert M., Contemporary strategy analysis, 7th ed., Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2009.
Hawkins, G.L. and C. Parkinson. Reveal. Barrington, IL: Willow Creek Resources, 2007.
Heijden, K. van der, Scenarios: The Art of Strategic Conversation. Sussex UK: John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
Kaplan, R.S. and Norton, D.P., Strategy Maps.Boston: Harvard Business School Press, 2004.
Kim, W.C. and R. Mauborgne. BlueOceanStrategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make Competition Irrelevant. Boston: Harvard Business School Press, 2005.
Kotter, J.P. and Cohen, D.S., The Heart of Change. Boston: HBS Press, 2002.
Kotter, John P., A sense of urgency, Mass.: Harvard Business Press, 2008.
Mintzberg, H., Ahlstrand, B., Lampel, J. Strategy safari: the complete guide through the wilds of strategic management. New York: Pearson Prentice Hall, 2008.
Niven, Paul R., Balanced scorecard step-by-step for government and nonprofit agencies, Hoboken, N.J.: J. Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2008.
Oster, S. A.O. (ed.), Generating and Sustaining Nonprofit Earned Income. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass 2004.
Pascale, R.T. “Surfing the Edge of Chaos.” Sloan Management Review 4, no.3 (Spring 1999): 83-94.
Reichheld, F. The Ultimate Question. Boston: HBS Publishing, 2006.