Details for Leadership Principles
Why do we need leaders? What do they do? Are they born or made? This unit will help students to find answers to these questions in the light of contemporary leadership theory and a Christian worldview. We will explore theory on leadership skills, traits and behaviours and consider the important question of what makes a leader great or...what would make you a great leader.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: LEA101
- Credit points: 10
The unit Leadership Principles is part of the subject area Leadership and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Bachelor of Applied Theology (Korean) (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)), Bachelor of Contemporary Ministry (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
This course unit provides the student with an understanding of the principles of leadership as applicable to a church context.
- The concepts of mission and vision
- The leader’s toolbox: time management, conflict management, priority setting and organisational communication
- Concepts of love, humility and forgiveness in relation to Christian leadership
- Communication skills as applied to leadership
- Principles of discipleship
- The Jesus model
- Personal learning and disclosure in relation to leadership style
This course may be offered in the following formats
Lectures, guided discussion, class seminars and presentations.
Major Essay (50%, 2500 words); Reflective Leadership Project (25%, 1000 words); Exam (25%)
- Robert Banks and Bernice M. Ledbetter, Reviewing Leadership: A Christian Evaluation of Current Approaches. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Baker Academic, 2004.
- Bill Hybels, Courageous Leadership. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan, 2002
- Banks, R. andPowell, K. Faith in Leadership: How Leaders Live Out Their Faith in Their Work and Why It Matters. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2000.
- Berkley, J. D (ed.). Leadership Handbook Of Practical Theology. 3 vols. Grand Rapids, MI.: Baker Pub Group, 1994.
- Clinton, J. Robert. Leadership Emergent Theory. Altadena, CA.: Barnabas Publishers, 1989.
- D’Souza, Anthony. Developing the Leader Within You: Strategies for Effective Leadership. Singapore: Haggai Centre for Advanced Leadership Studies, 1994.
- DePree, Max. Leading Without Power: Finding Hope in Serving Community. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1997.
- Jagelman, I. The Empowered Church.Adelaide, South Australia: Open Book, 1999.
- Jones, B. W. Ministerial Leadership in a Managerial World. Wheaton, Ill.: Tyndale House Pub., 1988.
- Lombardo, M.M. and Eichinger, R.W., For Your Improvement, Minneapolis: Lominger, 1996.
- Malphurs, A. Values-Driven Leadership: Discovering and Developing Your Core Values for Ministry. 2nd ed. Grand Rapids, MI.: Baker Books, 2004.
- Maxwell, John C. Developing the Leader Around You. Nashville, TN, Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1995.