Details for Australian Church History
This unit provides a detailed analysis of the major global trends which led to the foundation and then settlement of Australia. The pattern of settlement and national development is traced, including issues of inculturation, colonialism, denominationalism and racism. Australian Christianity in rural and urban regions is explored, as well as the challenges and opportunities of multiculturalism. Understanding the Christian history of this nation helps to equip students for effective ministry in a wide variety of contexts and allows for a deeper understanding of Australian national identity.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Unit code: HIS301
- Credit points: 10
- Total workload hours per week: 10
- Number of timetabled hours per week: 3 *
The following courses are prerequisites:
The unit Australian Church History is part of the subject area Church History and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Bachelor of Contemporary Ministry (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
This unit provides an overview of the major trends surrounding the foundation, settlement and development of European Australia in relation to Christian religion.
- Themes in Australian religious history
- The Convict Chaplaincy
- Liberalism; Secularism
- Sectarianism; Education, Church and State
- Social Responses of the Churches: Revival; Social issues; Politics
- Depression and War: Liberalism and Fundamentalism
- Post War renewal movements and mission
This course may be offered in the following formats
Lectures, discussion, tutorials
Forum Postings (20%, 2500 words); Field Report (30%, 1500 words); Major Essay (50%, 2500 words)
- Breward, I.A History of the Australian Churches.St. Leonards, N.S.W.: Allen and Unwin, 1993.
- Hunt, A.D.This Side of Heaven. Adelaide: Lutheran Publishing House, 1985.
- Judd, S. and Cable, K. Sydney Anglicans: A History of the Diocese.Sydney:AIO, 1987
- Massam, K. and P. Reilly.Sacred Threads.Sydney: UNSW Press, 1996.
- O’Farrell, P.J.The Catholic Church and Community in Australia.West Melbourne, Victoria.: Nelson, 1995.
- Phillips, W.Defending ‘A Christian Country’.St Lucia, Queensland: UQP, 1981.
- S. Piggin.Evangelicalism in Australia: Spirit, Word and World.Melbourne: OUP, 1996.
- Porter B (ed.). Colonial Tractarians.Melbourne: JBCE, 1989.
- Roe, J.Beyond Belief: Theosophy in Australia 1897-1939.Kensington, N.S.W.: NSWUP, 1986.
- Swain, A. and D. Rose (eds.).Aboriginal Australians and Christian Missions. Bedford Park: AASR, 1988.
- Wright, D. and Clancy, E.The Methodists.St. Leonards, N.S.W.: Allen and Unwin, 1993.