Details for Renewal Movements in Christianity
This unit examines the history of spiritual renewals, revivals and awakenings, as well as their influence on church life and growth. It is recognised that ‘revivalism’ is one of the most distinctive modes of proclaiming the gospel. It explores the sociological and spiritual milieu out of which these movements arise and what impact they have on society. It seeks to discover the theological and biblical principles of these movements and explores their potential applications to the contemporary church. This unit provides a basis for students to integrate their experience of church (in the charismatic/Pentecostal movements of Christianity) with their broader studies.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Unit code: HIS210
- Credit points: 10
- Total workload hours per week: 10
- Number of timetabled hours per week: 3 *
The following courses are prerequisites:
The unit Renewal Movements in Christianity is part of the subject area Church History and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Bachelor of Contemporary Ministry (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
This unit provides a basis for students to integrate their experience of church (in the charismatic/Pentecostal movements of Christianity) with their broader studies.
- Defining the Charismatic
- Prophecy and Millenarian movements
- Reformation and Great Awakening
- American Synthesis
- Azusa Street and Classical Pentecostalism
- Australasian Pentecostalism
- The Charismatic Renewal and the Third Wave
- The Future of Pentecostal and Charismatic Renewals
This course may be offered in the following formats
Lectures, discussion, tutorials
Field Report (25%, 1250 words); Major Essay (50%, 2500 words); Exam (25%)
- Anderson, A. Pentecostals After a Century. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press, 2000.
- Blumhofer, E (ed.). Pentecostal Currents in American Protestantism.Urbana: UIP, 1999.
- Burgess, S.M et al. (eds.).New Dictionary of Pentecostal and Charismatic Movements. Grand Rapids: Zondervan Publishing House, 2002.
- Dayton, D.The Theological Roots of Pentecostalism.Grand Rapids: Francis Asbury, 1987.
- Forbes, C.Prophecy and Inspired Speech in the Early Church.Peabody, Mass.: Hendrickson, 1997.
- Lambert, M.Medieval Heresy.Oxford: B.Blackwell, 1992.
- Synan, V.The Century of the Holy Spirit.Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2001.
- Wacker, G.Heaven Below: Early American Pentecostals and Culture.Cambridge, Mass.:Harvard University Press, 2001