Details for Romans Galatians and Pauls Narrative World
Have you ever wondered why Christians don’t follow the full Mosaic law? Have you ever asked what sets Christianity apart from Judaism? Paul’s letters to the Romans and Galatians answer these questions and more, and in many ways these letters reveal the heart of his theology. This unit will also synthesise Paul’s thought into a storyline of history that informs his pastoral and theological reflections. If you are interested in understanding the core gospel message and its relevance in our contemporary culture than this unit will scratch where you itch!
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: BIB352
- Credit points: 10
The following courses are prerequisites:
The unit Romans Galatians and Pauls Narrative World is part of the subject area Biblical Studies and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Bachelor of Applied Theology (Korean) (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)), Bachelor of Contemporary Ministry (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
An examination of Romans with the epistolary and rhetorical conventions that dictate its message. After the “New Perspective” is examined through Galatians, the unit then moves from the particularity of the letters to the generality of Pauline worldview, and the constraints posed by the epistolary mode itself.
- Situating Galatians
- The “New Perspective,” textual integrity and the rhetoric of Galatians
- Paul’s mission to Spain, the Jerusalem collection, Claudius’ expulsion and anti-Semitism in Rome: the reason for Romans
- Examination of the rhetoric, content and theology of Galatians and Romans
- Exegesis of selected passages
- Implication for Paul’s Narrative World: Christology, the Torah and the future of Israel
This course may be offered in the following formats
Lectures, guided discussion, guided exegesis, web based/electronic interaction
Major Essay (50%, 2500 words); Forum Postings (20%; 2500 words); Exam (30%)
Moo, D.J. Romans. NICNT. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1996
- Becker, J.C. Paul the Apostle. Minneaplois: Fortress, 1980.
- Byrne, B.Romans.SP6. Collegeville: The Liturgical Press, 1996.
- Donfried, Karl P. (ed.). The Romans Debate. rev.ed. Peabody: Hendrickson, 1991.
- Dunn, J.D.G.Romans. 2 vols. Waco: Word, 1988.
- Fitzmyer, J.A.Romans. New York: Doubleday, 1992.
- Hays, R.B. The Faith of Jesus Christ. Grand Rapids:Eerdmans, 2001.
- Longenecker, R.N.Galatians. WBC 41. Waco: Word, 1990.
- Martyn, J.L. Galatians. ABD 33A. New York: Doubleday, 1998.
- Stowers, S.K. A Rereading of Romans: Justice, Jews, and Gentiles. New Haven: YUP, 1994.
- Westerholm, S. Israel’s Law and the Church’s Faith. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1988