Details for The Pastoral Epistles
The Pastoral Epistles show us that intrigue and controversy are not new to the church! The letters of 1 and 2 Timothy and Titus and are located towards the end of Paul’s life and ministry career. The letters give insight into the need for stabilisation and structure within the emerging Christian communities in Ephesus and Crete, for firm Christian leadership, and error free teaching. Many of these questions arise today and this unit is sure to generate some good discussion on contemporary Christian leadership.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: BIB253
- Credit points: 10
The following courses are prerequisites:
The unit The Pastoral Epistles is part of the subject area Biblical Studies and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Bachelor of Applied Theology (Korean) (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)), Bachelor of Contemporary Ministry (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
To examine the so-called Pastoral letters ascribed to Paul; 1 and 2 Timothy and Titus. The issues of pseudonymity, literary dependency and the various world-views developed from the text(s) are examined.
- Genre identification
- Compare/contrast Pauline/Deutero Pauline literature
- Occasion and Purpose; Rhetorical Strategy; Narrative world
- Exegesis of individual texts
- Application to ministry
This course may be offered in the following formats
Lectures, guided discussion, guided exegesis, web based/electronic interaction
Major Essay (50%, 2500 words); Forum Postings (20%, 2500 words); Exam (30%)
Parker, David, Reading the Pastorals Now and Then, Sydney, Alphacrucis Press 2012. (This can be purchased from AC Central Reception in person or via phone).
- Davies, M. The Pastoral Epistles. Harrisburg: Continuum, 2006.
- Harding, M. What Are They Saying About the Pastoral Epistles. Mahwah: Paulist Press, 2001.
- Johnson, L.T. First and Second Letters to Timothy. AB35A. New York: Doubleday, 2001.
- Karris, R.J. The Pastoral Epistles. NTM. Wilmington: Michael Glazier, 1979.
- Knight, G.W. Commentary on the Pastoral Epistles. NIGTC. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1992.
- Kidd, R.W. Wealth and Beneficence in the Pastoral Epistles.SBLDS122, Atlanta: Scholars, 1990.
- Marshall, I.H. The Pastoral Epistles. ICC. Edinburgh: T & T Clark, 1999.
- Mounce, W.D. Pastoral Epistles. WBC46. Waco: Word, 2000.
- Towner, P.H. The Letters to Timothy and Titus. NICNT. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2006.