Details for Minor Prophets
Towards the back of the Old Testament there are a collection of twelve dusty and usually overlooked prophetic books, known as the Minor Prophets. This unit will blow the dust from the Minor Prophets, to get a glimpse into the ancient history of Israel, the prophets and their God-given message. We will specifically study the Minor Prophets as a collage, to highlight its literary nature, themes, rhetoric as well as its portrayal of Yahweh. Further, you will be encouraged to harness your own ‘prophetic imagination’ so that you can be a messenger of God to your own generation.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: BIB212
- Credit points: 10
The following courses are prerequisites:
The unit Minor Prophets is part of the subject area Biblical Studies and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Bachelor of Applied Theology (Korean) (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)), Bachelor of Contemporary Ministry (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
This course unit examines the book of the Twelve (Prophets) as a collage, with particular emphasis given to the themes, rhetoric and portrayals of Yahweh.
- The nature of prophetic literature
- The history of interpretation: from Sirach to Nogalski
- Intertextuality in the book of the Twelve ‑ the Twelve as collage
- The production and ideology of the Twelve
- The presentation of Yahweh in the Twelve
- Exegesis of selected texts
This course may be offered in the following formats
Lectures, tutorials, small group work, student presentation, dramatic reading, web-based interaction
Exegetical Essay (50%, 2500 words); Weekly Forum Postings (20%, 2500 words); Exam (30%)
- Collins, T.The Mantle of Elijah.Sheffield: JSOT Press, 1993.
- Craig, K.M., Jr.A Poetics of Jonah: Art in the Service of Ideology. USCP, 1993.
- Davies, G.I.Hosea. NCB, Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1992.
- Fishbane, M. Biblical Interpretation in Ancient Israel.2nd ed. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1999.
- House, P.R.The Unity of the Twelve. Sheffield: JSOT Press, 1990.
- Landy, F.Hosea. Sheffield: SAP, 1995.
- Mason, R.Preaching the Tradition: Homily and Hermeneutics after the Exile.Cambridge: CUP, 1991.
- Murray, R. The Cosmic Covenant.Sheed and Ward, 1992.
- Nogalski, J.Literary Precursors to the Book of the Twelve. New York: de Gruyter, 1993.
- Nogalski, J.Redactional Processes in the Book of the Twelve.New York: de Gruyter, 1993.
- Paul, S.M.Amos.Philadelphia: Fortress, 1991.
- Tollington, J.E.Tradition and Innovation in Haggai and Zechariah 1-8. Sheffield: JSOT Press, 1993.
- Verhoef, P.A. The Books of Haggai and Malachi.NICOT. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1995.