Details for Wisdom Literature
What is wisdom? How does a wise person live? What is the biblical foundation to wisdom? This unit will explore the Wisdom Literature of the OT through these lenses. It specifically will study the proverbial tradition as highlighted within the book of Proverbs but also the speculative wisdom tradition found within the books of Ecclesiastes and Job. Other examples of wisdom found in the Psalms, Song of Songs and the Apocryphal books will also be discussed. All in all, it will be discovered that for ancient Israel wisdom has many different facets – but it all begins with the Fear of the LORD.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: BIB211
- Credit points: 10
The following courses are prerequisites:
The unit Wisdom Literature is part of the subject area Biblical Studies and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Bachelor of Applied Theology (Korean) (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)), Bachelor of Contemporary Ministry (Alphacrucis College (NSW Dept. of Education)).
This course unit examines the wisdom literature of the OT by redefining ‘wisdom’ itself in the light of the scribal, cultic and cultural practices of Israel and its ‘neighbours,’ but also in the light of the more formal qualities of the texts themselves.
- Wisdom in the Hebrew Bible, Apocrypha and ANE
- Wisdom Psalms
- Exegesis of selected passages
This course may be offered in the following formats
Lectures, tutorials, small group work, student presentation, dramatic reading, web-based interaction
Major essay (50%, 2500 words); Exegetical Essay (30%, 1500 words); Weekly Forum Postings (20%, 2500 words)
Murphy, R.E. The Tree of Life: An Exploration of Biblical Wisdom Literature. 3rd ed. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Eerdmans, 2002.
- Bergant, D. Israel’s Wisdom Literature: A Liberation-Critical Reading. Philadelphia: Fortress, 1997.
- Brown, W.P. Character in Crisis: A Fresh Approach to the Wisdom Literature of the Old Testament. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1996.
- Dahood, M. Psalms. 3 vols. New York: Doubleday, 1966, 1968, 1970.
- Fox, M.V. Qohelet and his Contradictions. Sheffield: Almond Press, 1989.
- Gammie and Perdue (eds.).The Sage in Israel and the Ancient Near East. Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns, 1990.
- Keel, O. The Song of Songs. Philadelphia: Fortress, 1994.
- Kraus, H.-J.Psalms. 3 vols. Minneapolis : Fortress Press, 1993.
- Longman III, T.How to Read Proverbs. Downers Grove: IVP, 2002.
- Murphy, R.E.Wisdom Literature. FOTL. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1981.
- Perdue, L.G. Wisdom & Creation. Carlisle: Abingdon, 1994.
- Von Rad, G. Wisdom in Israel.London: SCM, 1972.
- Westermann, C.Roots of Wisdom.Louisville: Westminster/John KnoxPress, 1995.
- Whybray, R.N. Proverbs. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1994.